Approvers are a powerful tool in QReserve to keep track of how resources are being used and who is using them. They can be used to gate access to resources and ensure that account owners (bill payers) are aware of how their money is being spent.
Approval Process Overview
When an approver is attached to a reservation or request there are several different events that can take place depending on how your approver process has been configured.
INITIAL APPROVAL STATUS: Pending
- Each approver, initially, is set to a Pending state.
- The reservation itself will be given a Pending status that blocks the timeslot in the calendar, but is shown as Pending to any user viewing the reservation.
- APPROVER DENIES REQUEST: If any approver Denys the reservation, the reservation status will update to Denied and it will instantly be removed from the calendar.
- APPROVER APPROVES REQUEST: If an approver Approves the request then the original requester is notified and the approval status of the reservation is updated.
- RESERVATION STATUS UPDATES: If the resource approval mode is set to approve with Any approvals, then a single approval with no denials will approve the reservation. If the approval mode requires All approvals, then all approvers must first approve the reservation before the reservation status moves from Pending to Approved.
- AUTOMATIC APPROVALS: If an approver is likely to approve the vast majority of requests, they can have Automatic Approval turned on. The approver will still receive emails and can still override the automatic approval to deny a reservation, but otherwise, will passively approve all requests.
- SILENT APPROVALS: If you wish to have the ability to override reservation requests through the QReserve interface but not receive emails, you can disable the Receive Emails option to not be notified of pending approval requests.
A resource approver will be linked to any reservation or request of a particular resource, regardless of who is making the reservation. All approvers must first accept this responsibility through an email verification link before they will become an active approver.
Creating a Resource Approver
- On your Resources page in Administration, click the pencil icon next to the resource you wish to add the approver to.
- Click the Reservations tab and then select the Approvers tab.
- Click the + Add Approver button to add a new approver for this resource.
- That user will receive an email to confirm their approver status.
Alternatively, approvers can be added directly from the Resources tables by changing one of the two editable columns into the Approvers value, or through the Multi-Edit tool.
A user approver will be linked to any reservation or request made by a particular user, regardless of the resource the reservation is for. All approvers must first accept this responsibility through an email verification link before they will become an active approver.
Creating a User Approver
Over-budget approvers operate in a similar fashion to regular approvers with the added contrainst of only being applied to a reservation when that reservation would push a user's account over-budget.
Option 1: Adding Approver by User
- On your Users page in Administration, click on the pencil icon next to the user you want to add an approver to.
- Click the + symbol next to User's Reservations are Approved By and either select a user from within your site, or if the approver is not yet a member of your site, enter their email address into the selection field.
Option 2: Adding Approver by Approver
- Ensure your approver is already a member of your site or add them if needed.
- On your Users page in Administration, click on the pencil icon next to the approver.
- Click the + symbol next to Approves Reservations For These Users and either select a user from within your site..
- Repeat this procedure to add multiple users to this same approver.