Resource blockers allow the calender of one resource to affect and block the calendar of another resource. This simple feature has many powerful applications!
Use Cases for Resource Blockers
- Dark Rooms: Often a dark room contains more than one piece of equipment but only a single resource can be used at a time. By bi-directionally blocking all equipment, QReserve will only allow a single resoruce to be booked at a time.
- Kit Creation: If multiple resources can be booked together as a single kit then you can define a new Kit resource (e.g. Camera Kit) that bi-directionally blocks all of the elements of the kit. Then, the use of the kit will automatically block all of the kit elements, or if a single element of the kit is in use, the entire kit will be blocked from reservation.
- Temporary Closures: Need to temporary block reservations across your entire facility? Create a new resource called Closure and make a reservation during the time of your facility closer. Next, set your Closure resource to block all other resources within your facility. If you want to modify your closure you can then simply edit the single reservation on your Closure resource.
- Sub-divided Room Configurations: If you have a conference room with movable dividers (e.g. one large room can be split into three smaller rooms) then blockers can be used to make managing this easy. Create three resources for the smaller rooms and one resource for the large room. Then, setup each smaller room to bi-directionally block the larger room. Now, the larger room can only be booked if none of the small rooms are booked, and the small rooms can only be booked if the larger room has not been booked.
Creating Resource Blockers
- On your Resources page in Administration, click on the pencil icon next to the resource you want to edit.
- Go to the Reservations tab and then select Blockers from the side menu.
- Select the resources you want your current one to be blocked by and the resources your current one will block.
- Optionally check the bi-directional option when creating a new block to automatically create blocks on both resources for each other.